Trust me, you will never find me as a host or even a contestant on the Food Network and I am not even close to being the “Pioneer Woman”, but one of my favorite hobbies is cooking! (Thank goodness my only food critics are my children! And no one is watching my messes and errors – LOL!)
Here is a fun recipe I discovered online which helps get my children to eat veggies! You can make it even more fun by letting them help you add the mini-pepperoni and cheese.
- 4 large zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 1 (16-oz.) jar spaghetti or pizza sauce
- 2 c. shredded mozzarella
- 1 c. mini pepperoni
- Chopped fresh basil, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut zucchini in half and scoop out the inside into a large bowl.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add scooped portion of zucchini and sauté until tender, 6 to 8 minutes, then pour in the spaghetti/pizza sauce into the mixture. (I added garlic, sea salt and pepper to season.)
- Place the hollowed zucchini shells on a large lightly oiled baking sheet. Spoon in the sauce mixture. Then top with mozzarella and mini pepperoni. Bake until zucchini is tender and cheese is golden, about 15 minutes.
- Garnish with basil, if desired.
(I know it is hard to see the deliciousness below – photography not one of my hobbies.)